I admit it: I'm a total geek. I love electronics, programming, 3D art, vintage Apple hardware, and whisky. I'm always juggling half a dozen projects. I also enjoy documenting it all: my successes, my failures, my experiences... and everything geeky along the way.

Seeed Studio Fusion - $9.90 for 10pcs 2 layer 10x10cm boards


 
 
 
 
 

Bare Bones Arduino v2 | Kevin Rye.net - Main

Kevin Rye

Geek Extraordinaire. Yeh, I said it.

Bare Bones Arduino v2

I was really happy with the way my Bare Bones Arduino boards came out. They’ve already come in handy for prototyping my RGB LED Night Light project. They’re pretty small and only cot me $8.59 to make. (Not counting the ATmega.)

BBA_v1_0173

Although I was pretty happy with them, they could be smaller. In addition to making another smaller version, I’d like the next version to forgo the headers. That way it can have a really small profile. I’ll be able to squeeze them into a really small enclosure. I’m sure whatever I end up using these for will probably only take advantage of a few pins. So it does’t really make sense to have headers on all 28 pins.

If I eliminate the headers and the reset switch, I could probably knock a good buck or two off the total cost.

I jumped back into Eagle and started to make some changes.

BBA v2 eagle sch
BBA v2 eagle brd

Version 2 is about a quarter inch smaller and costs .50 cents less to have made by OSH Park. I also save another .35 cents by not having to order a reset switch.

BBA OP render

Placement looks good. The same 8 and 6-pin headers will fit if I do decide to use them.

BareBonesArduinoV2_0001

I ordered the boards and had them in-hand in about 2 weeks.

BareBonesArduinoV2_0047

BareBonesArduinoV2_0048

My only complaint is that it is a little hard to read some of the text. Some of it’s actually been rubbed off. I guess the boards rubbing against each other in the shipping envelope caused some of the finer text to rub off. I’ll definitely have to make the text a little bigger next time.

BBAv2_0046 - text

I picked out my parts, fired up my soldering iron, and put them together.

BareBonesArduinoV2_0053

Without adding the headers, it was really easy to put these together. I think I put all 3 together in about half an hour.

BareBonesArduinoV2_0069

Here’s version 1 and version 2 side-by-side. I also added another Vcc/GND output to version 2. I had the space so I figured I’d use it. Omitting the switch and the headers saved me $2.35 per board. In total, version 2 cost me $6.24 each to make. Compared to the $8.59 for version 1, that’s a pretty good cost reduction. Just think, if I went with SMD parts I could probably put the caps and resistors on the bottom and shrink the board down another 1/2 inch. I think I’ll resist the temptation and leave that for when I really, really need to save some space!

BareBonesArduinoV2_0064

I like how version two is small enough to fit right on the battery pack and not obscure the on/off switch.

BareBonesArduinoV2_0061

Unlike version 1, I can actually stand these on end.

BareBonesArduinoV2_0062

I loaded the Blink sketch onto each ATmega and tried them out.



I knew these tiny SparkFun boxes would come in handy one day. Free storage!

BareBonesArduinoV2_0071

Nice. Another project complete!