I admit it: I'm a total geek. I love electronics, programming, 3D art, vintage Apple hardware, and whisky. I'm always juggling half a dozen projects. I also enjoy documenting it all: my successes, my failures, my experiences... and everything geeky along the way.
The Tesseract Build, Part II | Kevin Rye.net - Main
With the software and hardware for the Tesseract complete, it was time to wrap up the enclosure.
I started with the acrylic.
I wrapped it up in tape so that I wouldn’t get any paint on the outside.
I then took it outside and gave the interior a quick blast with some white spray paint.
After it dried for about an hour, I pulled the tape off to reveal and pretty nice looking white cube.
As far as the base, I plan to power it off 5V by either a 5V USB adapter or the USB port on my computer.
I drilled a hole in the base large enough to feed a USB cable and strain relief.
I had a few $5 cheapie Lightning cables that I bought at the gas station for the kids. They broke after 3 days, so I just cut the end off one of them and used that. I fed the cut end through the hole and slid on the strain relief.
I then pulled the strain relief through the hole.
I then soldered on the connector that attaches to the Bare Bones Arduino board.
I needed to use a few cardboard spacers to lift up and center the LEDs. I secured everything with some hot glue.
Last but not least, I secured the top with a few drops of hot glue.
It’s nice and blue but doesn’t blast the whole room.
Once it gets going, it’s quite the spectacle! I think it came out great, and the kids think it’s amazing.